Company Description: CRATE Modular is a steel volumetric modular manufacturer focused on mid- and high-rise development in multiple markets such as affordable housing, education, and hospitality. We help developers, architects and general contractors design and build more efficiently by leveraging the benefits of affordable modular construction process. We’ve set new standards in our industry with our modern, energy efficient, and sustainable steel structures. We are growing our high-performing team and looking for new talent that strive for excellence, have a desire to make an impact, and have proven track records in real estate development, manufacturing, construction, or startup environments.
Overview: The Director of Architecture & Product Development is newly created role that is focused on developing market-leading design capability and initiating product development activity. This position will work closely with the business development, project management, procurement, and manufacturing teams, as well as with client design teams. The Director of Architecture will serve as a key member of CRATE’s team and directly lead a team of design and product engineers.
Duties/Responsibilities of Position:
- Develop and implement a three (3) year departmental plan aligned with the company vision and strategy
- Create and implement standardized product architecture and specifications that allows for the efficient production of high-quality, high value-added modular building solutions
- Develop module designs to create a catalogue of base products with standard fundamental elements such that the modules can be customized to a certain degree without changing the manufacturing process drastically.
- Develop module designs that can be used to create several unit type combinations using fewest possible module types. knowledge of building code requirements to ensure design complies with all requirements.
- Define design criteria and constraints for client’s team of architects to work with.
- Work with 3rd party architects to ensure product mix is kept to a minimum in each project while allowing opportunities for customization.
- Work with Design Engineer to convert architectural module designs into manufacturing friendly models and assist with creation of production drawings and Bill of Materials (BOMs). Ensure the product designs remain complaint with code requirements.
- Create and maintain specifications for products and parts to be used in product design models and drawings
- The latest product technology has been integrated into product / project offerings.
- Design execution has been optimized through the effective implementation of project management processes and systems, as well as design standards.
- Develop a flexible, scalable design department.
- Measure, analyze and improve design performance.
- Develop relationships with research bodies.
- Represent the company at technical and industry conferences and events.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Licensed California Architect with a Bachelor’s in Architecture or Engineering required, with advanced degree an asset
- 10+ years of experience in architecture, engineering and/or design, with emphasis placed on multi-family residential, educational, and commercial experience
- 5 years of management experience with proven track record of building and managing diverse teams
- Proactive and results-driven leader with a proven track record of success in similar roles
- Organizational leader with excellent relationship and trust building capabilities, passion for coaching and mentoring staff across all departments
- Strategic thinker, analytical problem-solver
- Proven culture builder in ways that supports communication, coordination and cohesion across diverse functions and teams
- Experienced people manager, with track record of developing talent and leading teams
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to interact with staff at all levels
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, discretion, and judgement
- Passionate about innovation in the 3D construction space
- Working knowledge of sustainable and prefab construction
- Working knowledge of California building and zoning codes
- Proficiency in Rhino, Revit, and Blue Beam, specifically in construction document and technical drawing management
- General understanding of 3D CAD software like SOLIDWORKS or Autodesk Inventor
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and establish strong collaborative working relationships